We hold this specialism. We have been the Community Club of the Year on a number of occasions!
We not only meet the criteria but are proud to say that we exceed them by some distance!
The criteria are:
The club openly advertises opportunities to participate in archery
- A consistent warm reception is provided on club nights.
- On at least a monthly basis the club provides the opportunity for potential new participants to shoot Membership to the club is truly open and the club seeks to attract new members.
- The club is able to provide shooting practice times to all of its members on a regular basis.
- The club actively seeks to retain members by providing a varied and appropriate shooting programme.
- The club is able to identify barriers to the above and works to find solutions through a plan of action.
These characteristics will be ingrained within the club and members as well as committee members will display these qualities consistently.
Working with our CSP, local schools and businesses, recreation centres and councils we have recognised that for sports clubs to have a productive future and play an important role in the community we need to evolve into a sports and recreation club.
As it happens due to our active role within the community and our club mission to support the development of the whole person and not just the archer we have been heading down that path for some while! However, we are certainly not claiming this was as a result of strategic thinking!
Our nomination for Community Club of the year is therefore based on two specific areas of operation, the role we play as an archery club in our community and our wider role as a provider of recreational activities (which still has some way to go).
Ontarget Community Sports Club Achievements
• Work with Parish, Borough and county councils on a range of projects and benefited greatly from their support. In 2017 we got a 50% grant for a compact tractor to improve our playing surface and increase number of open community have-a-go sessions we ran.
• Support the work across Gloucestershire running school games activities.
• Run have-a-go stalls at local fetes and large community events. • Run corporate sessions for local businesses, special Needs and other local interest groups (Woman’s Institute, Age UK, Sailing Club, walking groups etc).
• Play a very supportive role with our CSP Active Gloucestershire, from playing active role on committees, supporting events and even hosting and organising their annual team away day!
• Landscaped our Ground, in 2017 we planted more than a thousand trees around the perimeter of our neighbours recycling plant to reduce noise, improve appearance etc. (They now sponsor the club including free red diesel for the tractor!). They will also provide the machinery and manpower to install the new club house foundations and car park extension free of charge!
• Supported the training, mentoring and development of non-Archery GB Coaches working in specialist disability groups and support the running of those sessions until they are competent.
• Our indoor venues for the winter programme are geographically spread, Cirencester, Cheltenham, Gloucester and our home venue is on a main bus route with a service every 10 mins! Ontarget Community Recreation Club Achievements
• We run weekly summer open community have-a-go sessions (was a 6 week break in mid-summer 2017 due to new access road being installed to our ground. Very successful programme with long waiting list for restart April 2018. Accommodates ages from 6 upwards (Arrows). Now main route into the club via beginners courses but many happy to shoot once a week without joining (generating important income). This programme will run all year round once the clubhouse is completed(generating an estimated income of £5K).
• Members spending voluntary time helping improve the environment to support our local wildlife. See attached brochure. The landscaping will provide picnic areas, sensitively integrated with the field course and away from the target range.
• In 2017 we completed our feasibility study and local negotiations to launch our own ‘ Men-in-sheds’ group in April 2018. We will be working with a combination of organisations including the NHS, Council, Active Gloucestershire and the Men in Sheds Association.
• We host birthday, hen, stag etc. parties.
• We have done the preparation to start a range of non-directly related archery activities once our new clubhouse is completed.
• We hold BBQ’s, encourage social gatherings of parents, non-shooters etc and invested in 2017 in new picnic tables, gas BBQ etc.
• In conjunction with the field course development, installed bridges, pathways etc through our wooded area to create a nature walk.
• Agreed the installation of a play area based around a mini-field course for the adapted kit (Arrows) archers. Already agreed installation programme and resourced materials.
• A recognition system that encourages care and development of our facilities as well as shooting.