We are members of Archery GB & their ‘Ontarget’ Club Development Programme. We are one, of a very small number of clubs that have achieved all 3 of the Ontarget Specialisms! We have been nominated by our Governing Body for the Sport & Recreation Alliance Club of the Year 4 times and we are focused on maintaining that momentum!
Club Motto: “Positive Attitude leads to Positive Performance.”
We pride ourselves in the quality of our coaching support, work in the community and involvement with our Governing Body. We believe that being a club means just that! It is not just about our sport: it is about the social activities, about learning together, losing and winning together, giving and receiving and being part of a larger community and valuing every member for what they are and what they can be!
Our Club Mission
To fully support all members to achieve their full potential & to apply the same principles to all those participating in our sport.
We believe that it is the responsibility of our club to provide the best facilities we can, at affordable costs and that this applies year round, not just for the outdoor season. Shooting once a week in the winter, is not supportive to archer development. Likewise offering unsupported coach sessions is not where we should be!
We own our own ground, which also includes a covered shooting area, training centre, a field course and a clout area. Availability is matched by our amazing indoor venues; Balcarras, GL1, Kingshill and our ClubHouse. Even with all our efforts to reduce costs, this still commits us to a weekly cost of more than £250, however attendance and membership levels means that we still generate positive income, even in the winter!
We seek to create a safe, orderly, caring, supportive and learning environment to facilitate archers, volunteers and officials of all abilities, developing to their full potential.
We seek to develop and maintain an ethos where individuals are motivated to contribute something back to the club and the community by providing opportunities to do so and create an environment that fosters social, emotional, physical and intellectual development, respecting the whole person not just the archer!
We strive to actively promote and develop our sport and engage individuals, families and community by keeping our activities affordable and inclusive, through the provision of a balanced programme of quality coaching, social activities and healthy competition at all levels.
Our Club Strategy
- To be a Sport, Recreation and Social Club and not just a venue.
- Make participation in our sport affordable by keeping the cost of beginners courses and membership fees as low as possible and accessible by offering regular group courses and 1-2-1 courses to match the availability of the participants. To sub-contact beginners courses, specialist skill development, specialist management services where the club’s in-house capacity cannot meet the need.
- Encourage members to practice as often as possible by adopting a ‘Target Fee’ system which encourages multiple attendances in any given week and to ensure that process offers great value for money and that it does not exclude any member or potential member due to its cost. (£4 per week maximum for multiple visits including the 5 indoor venues, considerably cheaper options also available).
- For that fee, you can shoot as many times as you like during that week, this includes the winter, where you can shoot in 4 different superb indoor sessions/venues during that week, always have access to coaching and specialist equipment, incredible value for such high quality and diverse support!). Indoor session lengths vary from 1 – 5 hours.
- Encourage family participation by offering family reductions on target fees. Also by engaging family members and friends in club activities and volunteering.
- Encourage progression from the beginners courses into the club by providing ample coaching support and free hire of equipment.
- Ensure the Social activity of the club is actively supported and run ‘free Social Activities’ where possible. At many practice sessions refreshments are provided for members and family.
- Form strong partnerships with the community, government, Local Education Authorities, sports equipment suppliers, sports service providers, local media, Governing Body, Active Gloucestershire etc. providing mutual benefits to all parties.
- Apply for relevant grants/funding and seek fair recognition for the club’s achievements.
- Encourage volunteer development and participation by all members in community type activities.
- Maintain a development process for all bow types and ages, conforming to all Archery GB Technique Practices with the objective of supporting pathways from recreation to performance, developing archers to the highest standards. To have a development process that also produces high quality coaches, officials & volunteers to manage the club.
- To promote competition at all levels.
- To be inclusive and lead the way in club development and participation initiatives.
- To offer the best experience in all aspects of club activities including target, field and clout.